Chatty Cathy showed up to write this post. It’s been a whole 31 days. A lot has happened in that time. Prepare for randomness. Ready, GO!
Hello friends! This has been quite a month for me. We took a fabulous vacation (photos to come) and we both worked a lot this month, which left little time for projects and writing. I’m psyched to be back at it though!
I know that summer isn’t quite over yet, and I, most definitely, squeeze every last-minute out of the summer that I can get. BUT, it is September 1st which means no more long summer nights, back to school, back to the grind and back to a schedule. So, even though I’m still mentally in summer mode, I’ve started to slowly prepare for the fall and getting organized again. It helped that we were stormed in last weekend with Hurricane Irene passing through Massachusetts. Luckily, we were safe, our house didn’t blow over and we only lost power for about 90 minutes.
Al and I took the hurricane weekend to be extremely productive around the house. Saturday morning we actually got up and booked it to a local farm before the storm came through. We picked about 12 pounds of blueberries and 15 pounds of peaches, picked up lots of cucumbers and happen to have about 10 pounds of tomatoes from our garden. All of which have been washed, canned, frozen or jarred. I’ll post details on how we did that next week.
These are some things that we’ve already done, are in the process of doing or are on the list to do. Each will have an upcoming post too, right now this is just my brain blabbing away about it all because I’m losing track of all my lists. So here’s one big one.
– Basement: We’ve been getting water in our basement lately so we were proactive before Irene stopped by and we cleaned out about three-quarters of our basement. We consolidated our plastic storage bins, which you can read more about here, made a trash pile, donate/yard sale pile, move upstairs pile, etc. On the list to still do is clean through the one corner (that’s dry so it wasn’t urgent) full of paint cans, paint supplies, tools and sporting goods.
– Kitchen: I recently picked up some discount fabric at Joann’s to make a curtain for our laundry cabinet. We also revamped our pantry area a bit, re-organized some cabinets, cleaned out the fridge, added some extra storage under the pots and pans rack and created a small boot tray area.
– Living Room: We are both currently in love with our living room. It was so, unbelievably unfinished two weeks ago. Which is why I haven’t spoken too much about it on here yet. But, when we returned from vacation Al decided he wanted a new chair for the living room. I obviously RAN WITH THIS THOUGHT of his because it’s not everyday that I don’t have to convince him with a flip chart and power point presentation about why I think we should get new furniture. I just really like change. Anyway, within two hours we had a new chair in the living room and then I was motivated to finish the whole room. So it’s 97% done and I can’t wait to share it.
– Bedroom: Needs help. It’s a slow process but we’ve got some art up so that’s a start. On my list (for this weekend hopefully) is to do a huge purge of clothes and shoes. We don’t buy new clothes/shoes that often but it’s time. We could both stand to get rid of some old ratty items and treat ourselves to some new ones.
– Office/spare bedroom/workout room/shoe closet/storage room/craft room/coat closet: Is a hot mess. Enough said. Bikes need to be hung, yard sale boxes need to be removed, curtains need help, Al needs a recycling bin, the list goes on.
Overall, we made a lot of progress. We’re hoping to have a yard sale if I can convince my wonderful mother and NEWLY ENGAGED SISTER to join in the fun. Did I mention that? My sister got ENGAGED, I’m SOOO HAPPY about it. Can you tell, from the caps lock and all? I’m ecstatic. Al had to hold me up when she called me. Mostly because I was making a scene at a farmers market on vacation but also because I was so happy.
Okay, back to organizing. What are you guys doing to get ready for the fall? The change of seasons? Back to school? Any tips or routines that you follow? Does anyone else have the urge to stock up on school supplies because they’re so super on sale even though you don’t need them. Or have kids that need them? I love school supplies.