I love to read; especially in the summer. There’s something about summer time and reading that just click for me. I’ve shared my Summer 2010 and Summer 2011 reading lists in the past so I figured it’s about time to get this Summer’s list out too. I may have bit off more than I can chew this summer but I’m going to try really hard to get through them all.
I avoid buying books pretty much always. I get about 99% of my books through the library. The other 1% I borrow from friends, my sister and my mom. I’ve yet to raid their bookshelves for this summer though.
So, here’s whats on my bookshelf for Summer 2012 (some blurbs are from Amazon, some are me rambling):
Falling Leaves, Adeline Yen Mah: I’ve already finished this memoir and it was fascinating. It had a great mix of twentieth century Chinese history, family life, independence and success. It’s the story of an unwanted Chinese daughter and how she never gives up and finds the will and desire to pursue an education and career.
Half Broke Horses, Jeannette Walls: Recommended by a friend and written by the author of The Glass Castle, also a great read. It’s the story of Walls’ grandmothers life from childhood to adulthood.
Stiltsville, Susanna Daniel: A love story that takes places in a small community in the middle of the Biscayne Bay. All is well until their island is gone and they have to figure out life on dry land.
The Nature Principal, Richard Louv: This New Nature Movement taps into the restorative powers of the natural world to boost mental acuity and creativity; promote health and wellness; build smarter and more sustainable businesses, communities, and economies; and ultimately strengthen human bonds.
Fed Up With Lunch, Sarah Wu: Written by a teacher who forgot her lunch one day and got a first hand look into what children are being served in school lunches. For a year straight she ate school lunches and blogged about it anonymously. Her blog received thousands of daily hits and was supported by many food activists. In this book she’s revealing her identity as well as what she learned.
Socialnomics, Erik Qualman: I read this in Summer 2010 and felt like I wanted to revisit it again. Great book on how Social Media has changed the world we live in and how we do business.
The American Way of Eating, Tracie McMillian: In a year long journey she worked, lived and ate alongside America’s working poor to see just how hard it was to eat when price matters. She’s setting out to find the answer to why American’s still eat the way we do a decade after the obesity epidemic was declared.
Most of the books I find to read either come from friends’ recommendations, or those found in magazines or the paper. I’ll Google around and sometimes I just peruse the new arrivals shelves at the library. I have a wide range of interests and topics that I enjoy reading about, as you can see.
(This photo was from our first camping trip this season. Al got up early to golf with my Dad so I took advantage of the early morning to read, still cozy in the tent. So peaceful!)
What are you guys reading this summer? Or, what have you read in the past that was an all time favorite? I always love new recommendations!