Wow. Just this week I had a moment of wondering if I ever posted the rest of this chair makeover. And then I realized I didn’t. So, here goes. What we had left to do was just paint and re-assemble the chair, really the easiest two steps.
We decided to go dark with the chairs since the walls and carpet are neutral in our place. I love crisp white things but they would get lost with all the other neutrals. We used Krylon spray primer and oil rubbed bronze for the color. A quick, light coat of primer did the trick and then we Al got to spraying them. Each chair took two coats of paint to get full coverage.
They covered really well and dried nice and evenly. We painted them at one of the locals parks so while they dried I tortured Al with making him do a cross fit workout with me that I lead. Poor guy.
Once we got them home we started to re-assemble. First, using scrap fabric that I had I covered the back hole of each chair. I just cut the fabric to the size and used my staple gun to secure. The seat bottom was easy to re-attach, just needed to set it on the chair and drill the screws in. The top front piece was a two-man job.
One of us would have to hold it perfectly in place while the other hammered. For this we just hammered nails right through the cushion to attach to the wood. We evenly spaced the nails and then re-used the original tacks that were on it to cover each nail. It actually worked out perfectly and saved me some money because I had originally planned to buy new upholstery tacks.
That was it! Our two free chairs got an inexpensive makeover.
The fabric and paint cost a total of $25, so $12.50 per chair. I’ll take that price any day!