I had been looking for an old folding stool like this for a while and finally found one on Craigslist for $25. I bargained with the lady and got it for $15 though (obviously I bargained with her). I love these folding chairs. They’re so functional and easily fold up to be stored away when not in use. I’m all for added seating that can be out of sight and out of mind when not in use.
I used leftover fabric and clear vinyl from my folding table and chairs project and grabbed a can of ORB (oil rubbed bronze) spray paint to make it over. I removed the cushion from the seat and gave the chair two thin coats of spray paint.
While that was drying I covered the cushion with batting, fabric and clear vinyl, using a staple gun to secure it. Took me maybe 5 minutes. There were little bendable metal things to secure it to the seat base. All that there was technical terms.
For the footrest part, there was nothing there but the metal so I cut a piece of thick corrugated cardboard to fit that space. Before covering the cardboard with fabric I stuck a few mini bolts through the cardboard.
I then wrapped the fabric over the entire thing. This way I was able to pop the whole piece into the footrest and then secure underneath with nuts. It allows for easy removal too, if I ever need to change out the fabric, fix or clean it.
Once complete I had an updated, functional folding chair for a total of about $20. I paid $5 for the ORB paint, $15 for the chair and the rest of the supplies I had! One last before and after: